Essential Homecare Services aim is to provide support for dependent elderly and people with a learning disability and their carers in their own homes, as an alternative to long-term Residential, Private Nursing Home or Hospital care.
The type of care provided is specific to the assessed needs of the individual.
Title of post: Social Care Worker.
Accountable to: Essential Homecare Services Directors.
Summary of Position
The Home Care Worker will provide the necessary care for dependent elderly and people with a learning disability and their carers living in their own homes. It is expected that the Home Care Worker will be flexible e.g. work unsociable hours, to work unsupervised, taking initiative and contacting relevant professionals. The Home Care Worker must be able to work in a team and be committed to achieving the aim of the scheme.
The Main Areas of Work Include: (See Task List)
- Personal Care
- Domestic Care
- Social Care
- Bathing/in bed/chair includes essential aspects of personal hygiene
- Promotion of continence and management of incontinence
- Assist with dressing/undressing/personal grooming
- Assist with mobility/rehabilitation
- Transferring clients using specialised equipment provided, within safe handling procedures
- Overall to create a homely atmosphere
- Essential Laundering
- Emptying/cleaning commodes, lighting fires
Display sensitivity and an ability to listen to provide support to individual clients and carers, which may include the following:
- Providing carers relief
- Providing social stimulation for clients and carers
- Planning activities
To participate in induction programmes and regular in service training.
Special attention to child protection policy.
Completion of relevant documentation, time sheets/ diary etc.
Completion of report forms /accident /untoward incidents forms.
To observe and report back to Essential Homecare’s Directors.
Attend team meetings.
Attend staff meetings.
HEALTH AND SAFETY POLICIES
To familiarise oneself with all relevant policies in relation to Health and Safety.
Confidentiality of the client and carer must be respected at all times.
Drive self and colleague(s) and be driven where appropriate, to and from: pick up points, client homes, employer premises, any other destinations as required.
The successful applicant will require the following experience and personal skills:
- Good standard of health and fitness
- Good communicator
- Positive attitude
- Courteous approach
- An understanding of the need of the client
- Respect confidentiality
- Prepared to work shift system
- Good personal hygiene
- Ability to be flexible
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to use own initiative
- Be motivated to learn new skills
- Getting up and / putting back to bed
- Moving and handling with or without a mechanical hoist
- Washing, bathing, showering, and washing of hair, teeth, and nails
- Application of creams as prescribed in the care plan
- Dressing and undressing
- Assisting clients to empty catheter bags
- Assisting clients with toileting or incontinence pads
- To carry out specific tasks for a client as determined and supervised by District Nurse
- Administration of medicines as prescribed in care plan
- Record and report any changes in client’s physical or mental state
- Recognise needs for contacting GP / Nurse and act upon same.
- Co- operates with all people involved in client care
- Take appropriate action if client is ill, missing or suspected to be dead
FOOD AND NUTRITION:
- Preparation of food, ensuring hygienic standards
- Dealing with dietary needs including special diets
- Help with feeding or drinking
- Advance preparation of snacks or drinks e.g. flasks
- Management of food stores / fridge
- Supervision at meal times
Maintaining receipts and records of all transactions regarding clients, incapable of managing their affairs.
Explaining financial transactions and accounting how money has been spent to the client.
- Lighting of fires, managing heating systems
- Bed making including beds following incontinence
- Emptying and cleaning commodes
- General cleaning/tiding
- Dealing with household refuse
This list is not exhaustible and can be updated at any time to suit the needs of the client.